Northwestern A Divisional Championships
Silver Fox Golf Course, Pablo
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Girls Team Results:
1. Whitefish 20
2. Columbia Falls 57
3. Polson 76
4. Ronan 93
5. Libby no score
1. Bailey Eaton, 11 Whitefish 19:12 (All Conference)
3. Loni Hanson, 12 Whitefish 19:55 (All Conference)
4. Jessica Sagen, 11 Whitefish 20:17 (All Conference)
5. Carly Schwickert, 11 Whitefish 20:28 (All Conference)
7. Hannah Weaver, 12 Whitefish 20:36 (All Conference)
11. Jackie Cassidy, 11 Whitefish 21:24
19. Nicole Birk, 10 Whitefish 22:25
20. Anne Miller, 12 Whitefish 22:26
33. Emma Marchetti, 9 Whitefish 23:51
48. Justine Dugdale, 10 Whitefish 29:35
Boys Team Results
1. Columbia Falls 18
2. Whitefish 61
3. Ronan 79
4. Libby 101
5. Polson 104
Boys Individual Results:
5. Nathan Knox, 11 Whitefish 17:16 (All Conference)
9. Jace Kalbfleisch, 9 Whitefish 17:49 (All Conference)
14. Baxter Graham, 11 Whitefish 18:10
15. Chris Reyna, 11 Whitefish 18:14
18. Fischer Gangemi, 9 Whitefish 18:27
24. Will Holdhusen, 10 Whitefish 18:55
33. Peter Seymour, 9 Whitefish 19:56
34. Spencer Hale, 9 Whitefish 20:05
36. Mat Guitterez, 11 Whitefish 20:12
50. Zach Blumhardt, 9 Whitefish 22:51
51. Jon Jacobs, 9 Whitefish 23:08
Comments on the Meet:
The Whitefish Cross Country teams had a very successful competition this past weekend at the Northwestern A Championship meet held at the Silver Fox Country Club in Pablo. The Lady Bulldog team won the Conference Championship for the fourth straight season, while the boys team finished in second place, up from fourth a year ago.
Individually, the ladies were led by individual champion Bailey Easton. Her time of 19:12 for the 3 mile course finished ahead of Mesa Starkey of Polson by 14 seconds. Loni Hanson (3rd in 19:55), Jessica Sagen (4th in 20:17), Carly Schwickert (5th in 20:28) and Hannah Weaver (7th in 20:34) all earned All Conference Honors with their top ten finishes.
"Bailey had a really nice run today. She had a plan and went out and took care of business. I was happy to see her have such a nice race. She is the first Whitefish girl to win the individual conference championship title since Claire Anderson won the race back in 1998."
"Putting five runners in the top seven shows that we are ready to go for state. I believe that our conference is one of the toughest in the state, so if we can run well against these runners, we can run well at state."
"Jackie Cassidy, Nicole Birk and Anne Miller all finished in the top twenty, so I think we have a great back-up cast for our top five. If we can shake some of the sickness that has been going around, I think that we could do quite well this weekend."
The boys team also had a great meet. Junior Nathan Knox led the Bulldogs with his fifth place finish. Jace Kalbfleisch also earned all conference honors with his ninth place finish.
Baxter Graham (14th), Chris Reyna (15th) and Fischer Gangemi (18th) rounded out the team scoring with their top twenty finishes.
"Last year we placed fourth, and we graduated four from that team. It's amazing that with all of these young and developing runners we were able to finish in second place. My goal for the team would have been to place in the top three, so obviously I'm thrilled that they were able to place second."
"This boys team is learning fast. This season has given them a great opportunity to step up and compete in all of the races that they've entered. The fact that this is such a young team with everyone able to return next year, shows that they are going to really make some noise next year. We still have one last goal to reach this season with this group. A top eight placing at State would put them into a great position to springboard into a even greater season next year."